05 Jun Major Updates to the Bipolar I Disorder & Acute Exacerbation of COPD Algorithms
All TreatGx users have access to the updated Bipolar I Disorder treatment algorithm and the Acute Exacerbation of COPD treatment algorithm. These comprehensive updates include many exciting enhancements that will help health care providers select the safest and most effective medications with their patients. All medication doses in both algorithms are personalized based on each patient’s genetics, kidney function, liver function, medications they are taking, and other important patient factors.
Updates for Bipolar I Disorder include:
- Personalized medication treatment options based on 3 different phases of illness:
- Acute mild manic episode
- Acute depressive episode
- Maintenance phase
- Addition of new medication treatment options
- Detailed and ranked treatment recommendations that guide the user to the most effective treatments through all phases of illness
- Guidance on how to use medications for:
- Combination therapy
- Adjunct therapy
The Bipolar I Disorder update includes treatment recommendations and rankings based on the most recent international guidelines (Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) 2018 guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder).  In the past, recommendations for Bipolar I Disorder treatment have often focused on efficacy within one phase of illness alone. In practice, patients are often kept on the same medication that stabilized an acute episode of bipolar mania or depression. The new recommendations recognize this clinical reality, and give treatment options ranked by their effectiveness through all phases of illness, allowing clinicians to select treatments with the best chance of long-term success for their patients.
Updates for Acute Exacerbation of COPD include:
- A simplified approach to the classification of exacerbations
- Detailed treatment recommendations that take into account both exacerbation severity and specific symptoms observed
- Updates to dosing for included medications based on newest monograph information and dose-adjusted for kidney function, liver function, drug-drug interactions, pharmacogenetics, and other patient-specific factors
The Acute Exacerbation of COPD update includes comprehensive treatment recommendations for treating acute exacerbations of COPD from the latest international guidelines, including the 2020 report from the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). 
- Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Parikh SV, Schaffer A, Bond DJ, Frey BN, Sharma V, Goldstein BI, Rej S, Beaulieu S et al: Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) 2018 guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorders 2018, 20(2):97-170.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease: Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: 2020 report. 2020.